Join Faurecia for an eventful Climate Week
Climate change affects us all. The many wildfires, floods, and weather events which happened this summer in various places of the world remind us of the urgency of the situation. So does the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s report issued last August.
Back in 2019, Faurecia started defining an ambitious roadmap to converge towards CO2 Neutrality by 2030:
- By 2025: we will be CO2 neutral for our internal emissions (scopes 1 & 2), reducing our energy consumption by at least 15%.
- By 2030: we will converge to CO2 neutrality (-50%) for our controlled emissions (scope 3 expect products usage), including all upstream and downstream activities (purchases, lease, transport, waste, recycling…).
- By 2050: we aim to be CO2 neutral for our total controlled emissions (scope 3), including for the use in the vehicles we equip.
Since Climate Week 2020, we have made progress and I would like to share some of our achievements:
1. Our emissions reduction trajectories have been approved by the Science Based Target Initiative (SBTi), being compatible with the reduction required to limit global warming to +1.5°C, the most ambitious scenario of the Paris agreement. SBTi is an initiative launched in 2015 which drives ambitious climate action in the private sector by enabling companies to set science-based emissions reduction targets. As a technology and industrial company, our decisions always rely on scientific, facts-based data.
2. We have enriched our ecosystem of partners to help us use ‘less’ and ‘better’ energy, among which:
- ENGIE, a world leader in low-carbon energy and services. Engie will provide energy saving solutions to be deployed across more than 100 of our sites in Europe, China, Brazil and Mexico by mid-2022. These efforts will enable 15% reduction of site energy consumption.
- KPMG, the leader in audit and advisory services. KPMG is now our partner for on-site renewable energy production. We will benefit from their expertise to install solar panels on our sites everywhere it is technically possible.
- Schneider Electric, which is our exclusive advisor for offsite renewable electricity purchasing.
- Artelia is in charge of developing our Green Factory White book to describe our expectations when it comes to building a factory.
3. We are accelerating on the sustainable materials front, with the creation of a cross-Business Group division for sustainable materials. This division will enrich our portfolio with cutting-edge sustainable and smart materials. We are also the 1st automotive supplier to have secured a partnership with SSAB, a Swedish steel maker, on fossil-free steel for our Seating business. Faurecia will start equipping our structure with this green steel from 2026 onwards.
4. Throughout the year, I have seen our global CO2 Neutral Pioneers network growing significantly, from 20 ambassadors last September to more than 100+ across 15 countries today – a great proof of local engagement from Faurecians. To make our journey a success, we will need everyone’s contribution: customers, suppliers, partners, and last but not least Faurecians.
These are promising achievements, and I am confident we will continue this trend, even accelerate it.